Hmm interested in making edibles and don’t know where to begin? Your best bet is to get started with cannabis infused butter which is normally known as canna-butter. With the help of canna-butter you can make any recipe into cannabis infused dish. If it is your first time, no worries. It is incredibly simple to make if you follow the right recipe.
The process takes few hours but once you have attained a batch of cannabutter, you can whip up marijuana-infused food within minutes. Making cannabutter involves the separating of active ingredients present in cannabis – the cannabinoids- from the leaves, buds, stem and infusing it with solvent and this case butter.
The reason butter is used is that the cannabinoids such as the THC is fat soluble and fails to mix well with water. Heat is required to activate the cannabinoids because of which raw cannabis is not used to make edibles.
A notable benefit of using cannabis infused butter is, that the patients who are seeking relief from various ailments can tailor their medication according to their preferences and dietary needs and use it in edibles. The thing is practicality, all you need to do is replace the butter with cannabutter in recipes that calls for usage of butter. Dose the amount of butter you need to use for the desired effects. Butter might actually be good for you cancelling out all the decades of criticism it has suffered for heart diseases and obesity.
While manifesting marijuana-infused butter, the key thing is to go low and slow. The butter needs to be heated for several hours so that THC is fully activated without burning or wasting the herb.
THC and CBD the psychoactive agents present in cannabis are not water soluble and require certain carrier oils so the butter acts as a carrier and soak up the cannabinoids, flavonoids and terpenes leaving impurities as residue. It is recommended that you completely decarboxylate cannabis before cooking for more psychoactive effect.
Things You Will Need:
- 1 pound butter (unsalted)
- 4 cups of water
- A metal spoon and a spatula
- Saucepan (medium)
- ½ ounce cannabis (decarboxylated)
- Stainless steel or glass bowl
- Metal strainer
- 8” x 8” cheesecloths (2 pieces)
- Plastic wrap or airtight container
- Gloves for food handling
- Cut butter into pieces add water and cannabis into pan and on low heat cook the mixture for 3-4 hours make sure it only simmers and never boils.
- Stir the mixture every 30 minutes. As water cooks off, it will thicken but don’t let it get too thick. The cannabis needs to float about 2 inches from the bottom of pan.
- When most of the water has evaporated, the mixture will turn more dense and glossy in 3-4 hours. Allow to cool and turn off burner.
- While it cools, line a metal strainer or colander with double layer of cheesecloth. Allow few inches to overhang.
- When the butter has cooled, pour it in the strainer and press it with back of spatula so that the butter drains in bowl.
- Use gloves and hold the corners of cheesecloth to tightly twist and squeeze out all butter. Discard cannabis.
- Refrigerate the butter for two hours until it has solidified.
- After that remove it from water run knife around the edge to get all the butter and cut into small pieces.
- Now carefully life butter layer placing the wet side on wax paper or cutting board so you can dab off extra water.
- The finished butter will have a green tinge.
- Airtight it and place in fridge until ready to use.
Quick tip: We recommend that you use it immediately or within few weeks for maximum result.